Sunday, February 24, 2013

Day 147 Gratitude and red staplers


147:365
Day 147 Gratitude and red staplers
02/24/13

Louise Hay daily affirmation:   “My day begins with gratitude and joy.”

Inspiration exercise from Noah Scalin’s 365 Daily Creativity Journal:   Make something inspired by your favorite movie.

OFFICE SPACE

Media:  Office plan blueprint, Magazine photos, Mod Podge, Tissue paper, Sharpie, Watercolors, Button

Time:  55M

Comments:  Not sure if I have a 'favorite'  movie, but there is one that I can sit through whenever I run across it on rerun television.  Office Space.  The iconic red stapler, the waitress' buttons of flair on her vest, and the bleak, fluorescent, cubicle-dwelling existence of the office workers are poignant symbols of work and life in an age of low wage service jobs, open office environments, computers and broken laser printers. And, human cogs in the anonymous wheels of American mega-corporations.  

Feeling gratitude and joy at the beginning of each day on the treadmill that is modern day work/life can some days be challenging... But not impossible.  


Inspired  by this movie, I keep a red Swingline stapler in my drawer at work that reminds me to be grateful that I'm gainfully employed, and to help me keep a humorous perspective on things.  Besides, there is something inherently joyful about a bright red stapler in a drawer full of otherwise boring and bland office supplies.     









No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your impressions, constructive comments or inquiries on this or any of the work you see posted on this blog.